Sugar cookie bars loaded with fresh apple chunks, lots of cinnamon and topped with a browned butter frosting.
- FOR THE SUGAR COOKIES:
- 1 cup Butter, Softened
- 2 cups Sugar
- 4 whole eggs ( )
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 5 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoons Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon ( )
- 2 cups Diced Peeled apples ( )
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 package Powdered Sugar (16 Oz. Package)
- ½ cups Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 13×8 rimmed baking sheet (like a jelly roll pan) and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using whisk attachment, combine butter and sugar and mix on medium until creamy. Mix in eggs one at a time, making sure to mix well after each addition. Mix in vanilla. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed. In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Blend the flour mixture into the creamed mixture on low speed until completely incorporated. Stir in cinnamon and apples.
- Spread bars onto prepared sheet pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove pan from oven and set it on a rack. Let bars cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, cook butter in a small saucepan over medium heat stirring constantly for about 8-10 minutes or until butter starts to turn a golden brown color. Remove from heat and pour into a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate butter for an hour or until it begins to solidify.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using whisk attachment, beat butter until smooth. Carefully add powdered sugar alternately with the milk beginning and ending with the powdered sugar. When frosting is a spreadable consistency, stir in vanilla. Spread frosting over cooled sugar cookie bars.