The classic takes a turn for the healthy. This is a low-fat Chicken Piccata that’s sure to please!
- To butterfly the chicken breasts: Using a very sharp knife, slice the thickest part of the breast starting at the middle and working towards the outside. Basically you are cutting it so that it’s an even thickness throughout. Once the breast is butterflied, slice it in half lengthwise so that it looks like two thin chicken breasts.
- Optional: You can tenderize the breasts using a meat tenderizer but don’t use the spiked sides because that will tear the meat (since poultry is more delicate than beef). Also, use a piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper between the meat and the tenderizer.
- In a deep plate, pour the flour and season liberally with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour, shake off the excess; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over high heat, add a ½ tablespoon of the butter. When the pan is hot and the butter is bubbling, add 4 pieces of the dredged chicken to the pan (you’re going to pan fry the chicken in at least two batches).
- Fry the chicken until lightly browned on each side (about 2-3 minutes on the first side and 1-2 minutes on the second). The chicken isn’t going to be cooked through here but that it’s okay. Set the fried chicken aside on a plate while you finish frying the rest.
- Into the now empty skillet, add the white vinegar and let the vinegar cook out. Boil for about a minute, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release any of the browned bits (deglazing). The heat should still be on high. Add the stock and the lemon juice.
- Return the chicken to the pan and let it sit in the bubbling sauce for 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Place the chicken on the serving platter.
- Add the lemon slices and the capers into the pan and let the sauce continue to boil and thicken. When the sauce has thickened, taste the sauce and adjust seasoning. Place the lemon slices decoratively over the chicken. Pour the contents of the pan over the chicken and serve immediately.
- 1. If you don’t have any vinegar on hand then you can use all stock instead.2. Vegetable stock can be used in place of the chicken stock.