If you’re looking for a way to enjoy the summer berries, I would definitely make this cake. Our family has been making it for as long as I can remember and it is still a favorite of ours. If berries aren’t in season, feel free to experiment with other fruits!
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 3 cups strawberries ( )
- 2 cups blueberries ( )
- 1-⅓ cup Granulated Sugar Plus Extra For Sprinkling
- 4 eggs ( )
- ½ cups Water
- 1-⅓ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1-⅓ cup All-purpose Flour
- 1-⅓ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- Powdered Sugar, For Dusting
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 pints Heavy Whipping Cream
- 7 Tablespoons Confectioners Sugar
- 3 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- For the strawberry shortcake:
- 1. Rinse, hull and slice the strawberries. Cut an equal amount of larger strawberries for the top of the cake and smaller strawberries for the middle layer. Place in a bowl with a few tablespoons of sugar and mix. This will help to create a juice that you will need later.2. Heat oven to 375 F. Line an 18 x 12 or 17 x 11 pan with aluminum foil or waxed paper. Grease the paper generously.3. Beat eggs in small mixer bowl on high speed until very thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.4. Pour eggs into a large mixer bowl.5. Beat in 1 1/3 cups of sugar gradually. Beat in water and 1 1/3 teaspoons of vanilla on low speed.6. In a smaller bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt then gradually mix it into the creamed mixture, beating just until batter is smooth. Pour into the pan and smooth it to cover the entire surface.7. Put the pan into the heated oven. Bake cake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 12-15 minutes. Remove pan from oven. Immediately loosen cake from edges of the pan. Invert cake onto a clean kitchen towel that you’ve sprinkled generously with powdered sugar. Carefully remove waxed paper from the bottom. Trim off the stiff outer edges of the cake if necessary (these scraps are my favorite to snack on!). Allow cake to cool. Then cut the cake in half horizontally using a long serrated knife. Put the bottom half of the cake (cut side up) onto a serving platter.
- To assemble the cake: Drizzle juice from the strawberry bowl over the top of the bottom layer. Cover bottom layer with homemade whipped cream (recipe below) and then top with strawberries and blueberries. Place top cake layer on top of bottom and repeat process.
- For the whipped cream:
- 1. Place cream in a bowl and begin to whip with a hand mixer.2. Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract.3. Beat until desired texture making sure to not over-beat the cream.