Coconut donuts, dipped in chocolate and topped with macadamia nuts and toasted coconut. Oh, and did I mention they’re baked?
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour (see Note Below For Gluten-free Substitutions)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 cup coconut ( ) Milk
- 2 whole eggs ( )
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter, Slightly Cooled Or Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups Chocolate Chips
- 4 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Chopped Macadamia Nuts
- 1 cup Toasted coconut ( ) Flakes
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and grease a 6-cavity donut pan. Recipe makes 12-14 donuts.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour (see note below for gluten-free flour substitution), baking powder and salt until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, eggs and melted butter (or vegetable oil, if using) until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir with a spoon or spatula until there are no more flour clumps.
- Pipe or spoon the donut batter into the greased donut pan, filling each donut cavity 3/4 full. Set the rest of the batter aside for the next batch.
- Bake at 425°F for 10-12 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the bake time, or until the donuts spring back when touched. Remove pan from oven and set it on a rack.
- Let donuts cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer the donuts to a cooling rack.
- Repeat with the remaining donut batter until all donuts have been baked.
- Once the donuts have cooled completely, place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after every 30 seconds, until the chips are completely melted. Whisk in the 4 tablespoons vegetable oil to make the chocolate glaze.
- Dip each donut halfway into the glaze, and return to the cooling rack with the chocolate side up. Allow chocolate to set.
- Once all the donuts have been dipped in the chocolate glaze, top each donut with the chopped macadamia nuts and toasted coconut, and enjoy!
- Note: For a gluten-free version of these donuts, use the following in place of the 2 cups all-purpose flour:
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour1/4 cup coconut flour1/4 cup millet flour1/2 cup potato starch1/4 cup cornstarch1 pinch baking soda1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum