A touch of cola adds depth and a hint of sweetness to these that you just have to try!
- 1-½ cup Regular Soda
- 2 teaspoons Light Brown Sugar
- 8 ounces, weight No Salt Added tomato ( ) Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon tomato ( ) Paste
- 2 teaspoons White Distilled Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- ½ teaspoons garlic ( ) Powder
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- 1 pinch Freshly Cracked black pepper ( )
- 1 Tablespoon olive ( ) Oil
- 1 cup Red Pepper Finely Chopped
- ½ cups White onion ( ), Diced
- 1 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 4 Buns Or Rolls
- In a small saucepan, bring cola and brown sugar to a boil over medium-high heat and boil, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved and liquid reduces to about 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, add cooled soda, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper and whisk until blended. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions and cook until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Add in beef and cook thoroughly. Drain any excess grease.
- Stir in sauce and continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and serve on rolls.
- Notes: Try serving the sauce over pasta like elbow noodles or orrechiette. These are also great served on garlic toast instead of rolls.