All the flavor of an apple pie done in cookie form.
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, Chilled And Cut Into 1″ Pieces
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- ¼ cups Ice Water
- FOR THE FILLING:
- ¼ cups Sugar Plus Extra For Sprinkling On The Top Of The Cookies
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon ( )
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 dash nutmeg ( ) – Optional
- 1 whole apple ( ) (of Your Choice), Peeled, Cored And Cut Into Quarters
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- For the crust:Combine the butter, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a food processor with a steel blade and pulse just until it resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly pour in the ice water and pulse just until combined and a dough ball forms. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- When the dough has chilled, roll it out on a well floured surface until it’s quite thin. Using a round cutter, cut out an equal number of circles. You can re-roll the scraps to use up all the dough. The number of circles you get will depend on your size cutter but I used a 3 1/2″ cutter and got about 10 circles.
- For the filling:In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Slice each apple quarter as thinly as you can and place 2 or 3 slices on half of your dough circles. Sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of the sugar/cinnamon mixture over the apple slices and top each filled circle with another empty dough circle. Using a fork, crimp the edges of the dough so that the filling doesn’t run out. Using a sharp knife carefully cut a crisscross slit across the top crust only. Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, sprinkle the tops of the cookies with a tablespoon of additional sugar, if desired, and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the cookies are a light golden brown.
- Inspiration came from Smitten Kitchen.